Chemistry in the News: The Star of David Molecule
Scientists at the University of Manchester have created a molecule that resembles the Star of David. The molecule is created by linking 2 triangular molecules and overlapping them in 3 places. This linking is done when the molecule is being formed in a process called "self-assembly". The molecule contains 114 atoms around its perimeter and when linked with similar molecules, it should create a chain mail pattern. This chain mail linking can be used to create armor in much the same way as was done in medieval times, except this time, the chain linking will be done on a molecular level. These materials would be very light, flexible, and resilient. This molecule is a major breakthrough as scientists have been trying to create one like it for over 25 years and it is the most complex one of its kind. The idea behind a molecule like this one was from studying the strong shells of viruses. I can't wait to see what else can be done with molecules like this one!
Sources:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/science/generating-a-molecule-with-star-quality.html
http://phys.org/news/2014-09-star-shaped-molecule-breakthrough.html
Sources:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/science/generating-a-molecule-with-star-quality.html
http://phys.org/news/2014-09-star-shaped-molecule-breakthrough.html
I think that molecule is really fascinating. I think it is amazing how even the smallest of molecules known to us can be rearranged and created into a symbol that we know about. The idea that it might work against some of the hard virus that give the doctors such a hard time is really cool too.
ReplyDeleteHaha that's nice! I can't believe someone actually found away to manipulate a structure to look like that.. makes me wonder other shapes are possible....
ReplyDeleteWow, I never knew that molecules could be created to form specific shapes, like the star of David! It's interesting that studying complex topics, like the shells of viruses can lead to making molecules representing common symbols we see frequently.
ReplyDelete