"Purdue University physicists are part of an international group using spinach to study the proteins involved in photosynthesis, the process by which plants convert the sun's energy into carbohydrates used to power cellular processes.
"The proteins we study are part of the most efficient system ever built, capable of converting the energy from the sun into chemical energy with an unrivaled 60 percent efficiency," said Yulia Pushkar, a Purdue assistant professor of physics involved in the research. "Understanding this system is indispensible for alternative energy research aiming to create artificial photosynthesis."
Purdue physics professor Yulia Pushkar (left) and postdoctoral researcher Lifen Yan work in Pushkar's laser lab. Pushkar and Yan are part of an international team using spinach to study the proteins involved in photosynthesis.
Your post was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it. I love spinach! The article makes me even more excited about eating spinach. It is very intriguing that the food we eat to fuel or bodies may now be used as alternative fuel.
ReplyDeleteI love the relationship you created with the cartoon character and the research project! Its very important that we find alternate ways to get energy.
ReplyDeleteA nice addition would have been to include when this project was started :)
I enjoyed reading your post and I am very glad that this is a potential alternative fuel! Artificial photosynthesis as a possibility is fascinating and the fact that it is getting publicity is great. Thanks for writing such an informative post!
ReplyDelete