Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Printable Ibuprofen

I found an article that has major shock value. It's about the 'chemputer', a personal computer where one can print out there own drugs at home. The scientist behind it all, Lee Cronin, says that the concept is very similar to 3D printing. The hardware is still in the developing stages; however, in lab the researchers have so far been able to make ibuprofen. The issue I'm seeing with this particular chemistry, is the legal issues behind it. If the use of cannabis is illegal, then how is it that manufacturing your own Advil is not? Though Cronin points out a lot of great key points about the product, all I'm seeing is a "Breaking Bad" episode gone completely wrong all around the world. I can see how it could help developing countries by making drugs cost efficient as they could be made on hand. Yet, with every new invention there comes cons and I think the infinite negative things that could go wrong with these concepts outweigh the pros. With this technology I can see so many things going wrong in the world with medication, I'm not seeing the public health pro of this chemistry.

Side note: When I googled "Chemputer Lee Cronin" the top results were all from 2012. After looking up the topic more I found that Cronin has projected this project to come full circle in about 10 to 15 years, which makes a lot more since. If this science really hits the world like proposed, there needs to be new legislation and some sort of permit for owning one of these things. Drugs need regulations just like guns have.

Dr. Lee Cronin, TEDGLOBAL2012


Reference: The 'chemputer' that could print out any drug | The Guardian



1 comment:

  1. I see your point about 'Breaking Bad' gone wrong, but I see all the good it could do for those for have a hard time getting the medications that they need, like the elderly or disabled. I hope that they can really make this a thing, and that is not to expensive to the point where it wouldn't be available to the middle and lower class.

    ReplyDelete