Saturday, December 6, 2014

Chapter 10, Sapling #33

This problem asks you to go from an alkene to an alkyne. The mechanism for this change involves going from the alkene to the alkane, and from there to the alkyne. There is an extra carbon on the product that is not in the initial molecule. This can only be added on to an alkyne. The mechanism goes as follows:



2 comments:

  1. When I was doing this sapling problem I kept trying and trying to figure out why the first step was not the addition of NaNH2 then I realized that without the Br2 the reaction will not happen at all. Using Br2 allows the reaction or excess NaNH2 to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for choosing to explain this problem! I have a hard time understanding which reagents to use to get the correct products. I kept forgetting to use the excess NaNH2 or kept using it too soon. I'll have to go back and look at these types of problems. I don't really get when the NaNaH2/CH3Br comes into play though. I guess that's something else I have to look up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete