Monday, December 8, 2014

Sapling Chapter 8, Question 11


In the Sapling Homework from Chapter 8, Question 11 we are presented with a problem of a 2 double bonded hexane which asks for a 1,2 and 1,4 addition products. Approaching this problem, I like to count my carbons from each side at the carbon with the beginning double bond. Once counted, I label each Carbon 1-4. When doing the 1,2 addition-- I add an H to the 1st Carbon and putting a carbo-cation on my 2nd Carbon where my Br (or any Halide) will be added. During this addition, the double bond is broken creating two new double bonds. For the 1,4 addition I add my H to 1st Carbon and my Br to my 4th, doing this cancels both double bonds, creating a problem. To solve this problem, the double bond from the fourth or first Carbon is then flipped to the middle of the first and fourth carbon, ultimately creating a 1,4 addition product.

No comments:

Post a Comment