Monday, December 8, 2014

Sapling Problem Chapter 10 Problem 17.






In this problem there is an S2 and a E2 reaction. In the S2 reaction the Bromide is substituted for an alcohol. Nothing else about the compound is changed. For the E2 reaction the Br is eliminated and so a double bond is then formed between Carbon 1 and Carbon 6. This problem was not to challenging but it did help me to understand the basics of S2/E2 reactions and how to tell which one is which.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you chose this problem, not for its difficulty, but for the knowledge of the basics. When we first starting learning SN1/SN2 and E1/E2 reactions I was mixing things up constantly. Doing the homeworks and easier book problems like this helped me get things straightened out. Then we started combining reactions and performing syntheses I found myself constantly referring back to the basics to help keep each step heading in the right direction. Good post! :)

    ReplyDelete