Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sapling Problem from Chp 5 #23

Sapling Homework Problem
From Chapter 5
 #23

Introduction
Disjumbled Spectroscopy/Spectrometry Concept Cloud
Spectroscopy and Spectrometry problems are arguably some of the most difficult types of problems we’ve faced this semester because they test our knowledge of functional groups and ability to quickly think on our feet.  Similar to sight-reading a piece of music in a live-audition situation or running an unfamiliar cross-country course for the first time, these problems can appear to be almost like an impossible game of tetris if one does not have a strategy in mind ahead of time.  

Reviewing for the final exam this past weekend, I decided to devote my last blog entry to both a particular spectrometry/spectroscopy problem and my overall strategy for solving these types of problems.


The Problem
Please click on image to enlarge
Problem number 23 from chapter 5 of Sapling asks us to provide the structure of a compound based upon the given molecular formula, IR spectroscopy data, and proton NMR spectrum.                                                 


Problem Solving Strategy
Please click on image to enlarge
Before beginning to work on the problem, I've found it helpful to map out my strategy. By starting with the degrees of unsaturation, continuing onto IR and Proton NMR examinations, and ending with educated guessing, I've found that this plan of attack helps me focus on getting through the problem and ending up with a reasonable answer to the question.

Step 1: Degrees of Unsaturation
Please click on image to enlarge
Presented with a molecular formula for the compound, the first step to solving this problem involves determining the total number of pi bonds and rings present in the compound's structure.  Using the general formula for the degrees of unsaturation provided to us in class, one can accurately determine from a compound's molecular formula both whether a particular compound is acyclic or cyclic and/or an  alkane, alkene, or alkyne. For this particular problem, I determined that this compound has both one degree of unsaturation and is a type of alkene (please see above graphic for my work).

Step 2: Examination of IR Data
Please click on image to enlarge
One of several types of instrumental techniques, Infrared spectroscopy is a powerful analytical tool that allows us to differentiate between different types of functional groups. As the textbook states on page 615, an infrared spectrum (and ultimately experimental data) is obtained by passing infrared radiation through a sample of a compound  and plotting the percent transmission or radiation versus the wave number of radiation transmitted. Once completed, downward spikes on the graph indicate the absorption of energy (also referred to as absorption bands) and the specific wavenumber at which these spikes occur can identified to a specific type or functional group and/or bond.

Provided with three unique absorption bands in this problem, I compared these experimental data points to those presented in textbook tables 14.4 and 14.5 and was able to identify three types of functional groups/bonds present in the compound's structure (please see above graphic for my work).

Step 3: Examination of Proton NMR Spectrum
Please click on image to enlarge
Produced by the pulsing of proton nuclei between alpha and beta-spin states after being exposed to rf radiation (textbook page 650), Proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging provides valuable information about the carbon-hydrogen framework of an organic compound (textbook 596). From helping us determine the total relative number of protons that produce each signal in the compound's structure (Integration) to the total number of different types of protons and the distance between each proton signal peak, proton NMR is useful in helping identify the structure of an unknown compound.

In this particular problem, I was able to determine that the provided proton NMR indicated the presence of 6 different types of protons, an integration of 2:2:2:3:3:1, and specific information related to the coupling constants (please see above graphic for my work).


Step 4: Educated Guessing
Please click on image to enlarge
Please click on image to enlarge
 Arguably the hardest part of this type of problem is coming up with possible structures, comparing possible structures with data presented, and eliminating those possible structures that do not fit the experimental data provided in this problem. 

The graphic to the left is a summary of the puzzle pieces that I worked with to come up with possible structures. The graphic to the right shows the some of these possible structures and how they relate to the experimental data provided. The differentiating concept between all four structures turned out to be the presence of 6 different types of protons.

 The Final Answer to the Question
Please click on image to enlarge

6 comments:

  1. This is a really great post, Hart. I agree that these are the most challenging problems we have faced; the trip me up everything time.

    I really liked the way you laid everything out while working through this problem. Very organized and the chart of different structural possibilities was really nice. I will probably replicate something like it during my work with these problems. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your work on this too! The graphics are really helpful and well organized. I really liked your organized approach to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to place every needed detail in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a detailed, informative post! I can honestly say that this has really cleared up a few things about understanding and uncovering structures from spectroscopy and spectrometry data. Like many other I feel like this chapter was one of the most challenging. However, your approach to solving this problem is very helpful and will definitely be a guide as I am studying for the final exam! Thank you for such an awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hart,

    This was a really helpful and detailed post! I was really glad to find that you have been using very similar strategies to mine.

    Keep up the good work,
    Eni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cdander3, Aleksandra, Keisha, Jessica, and Eni,

    Thanks for the feedback!

    I thought I'd just post an additional outside source (besides those listed on Sapling) for developing a more personalized strategy for solving NMR problems (I found this website particularly helpful) :

    Title: A Guide to Solving NMR Problems
    Author: H.D. Roth
    Associated Institution: Rutgers University
    URL: http://chem.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/coursefiles/courses_f11/307/chem307/OC307-11-Solving%20NMR.pdf

    ReplyDelete