Sunday, November 30, 2014

Allosteric Modulation of the Human Cannabinoid Receptor

I attended a lecture by Derek Shore, a PhD student of Chemistry at UNCG, on October 31 of 2014. The lecture discussed the effect of the allosteric modulator ORG27569 on the Human Cannabinoid-1 receptor. The modulator indirectly affects the way in which another binding site on the receptor is shaped. This change in the conformation of the binding site makes it difficult for other molecules to bond here. The modulator can also prevent other molecules from binding to the Cannabinoid-1 Receptor by sterically hindering the actions of other activating molecules that could re-activate the receptor. Derek talked about how ORG27569 could be important in the development of new drugs which would restrict the receptor without causing dangerous side effects. Current drugs that inhibit the receptor also cause depression.
I thought that this was a very interesting talk, but I quickly realized that I do not have enough of a background in Chemistry to understand the intricacies of the research. 

1 comment:

  1. I attended this lecture as well. I found it to be very interesting and enjoyed it a lot. I think that it something very important to the future of medicine.

    ReplyDelete