I went to a department seminar and
it was about allosteric modulators and biased-signaling modulators of the
cannabinoid reception one. The speaker was Dr. Debra Kendall and she works in
the pharmacy school at the University of Connecticut. She started the lecture
by introducing the GPCR (G-protein coupled receptor) protein receptor. It’s the largest receptor
family and it makes up three percent of the human genome. There are good and
bad things about the GPCR. She was saying that the good was that it’s so
heavily integrated into human physiology and are really important for science
and the bad is that there are only a few GPCR receptors we can target. Dr.
Kendall mentioned that she really wants to contribute to science by finding
more ways to modify them so they are more easily targeted.
GPCRs
are involved in many things including drug discovery, the central nervous
system, and diseases. Forty percent of the central nervous system is targeted
by the GPCR making it the most targeted area. The functions mediated by the
GPCRs in the central nervous system are cognition, memory attention, movement,
mood, stress, appetite, and pain. Mutations in the GPCRs can lead to diseases
like Rhodopsin which causes blindness. Some common drugs that are targeted by
GPCRs are Claritin, Allegra, and Zyprexa. At this point in the lecture she was
showing various structures of molecules dealing with proteins. I got really
excited because I knew how to name and identity parts of the structures! I knew
all about the stereochemistry and the benzene molecules involved!
To wrap
up the lecture, Dr. Kendall went into allosteric modulation. Pretty much,
allosteric modulation are compounds that bind to an allosteric site that is
topographically distinct from the orthostatic site and modulate the binding
and/or signaling of an orthosteric ligand. They are valuable to therapeutics because
they decrease toxicity or side effects, fine tune pharmacological responses,
and they have more pharmacophore diversity than orthosteric ligands. She even
went on to discuss weed! She briefly went into how the THC receptors bind to
the cannabinoid receptors. Overall I think the lecture was way over my head,
but I appreciate the opportunity to hear about great things going on in
science.
I really enjoyed reading your post. I wish I could have attended this particular seminar because I am a pre-pharmacy major. The topic of weed seems very interesting. I have read about the benefits of the chemicals in weed. In due time, I believe there will be cures for many diseases. Dr. Kendall's research will help aid in a discovery for a cure.
ReplyDeleteYour post was very interesting to read. I never knew about how the GPCR and the central nervous system control coginition, memory attention, movement, mood, appetite, etc. The fact how mutating GPCR can cause a disease that will lead to blindness was just mind-blowing to know about! Overall, you did a great job of summarizing this seminar.
ReplyDelete