On November 7th, Dr. Bill Pennington, a professor at Clemson Universtiy came to University of North Carolina at Greensboro to discuss his research on halogen bonding. Halogen bonding is similar to hydrogen bonding because halogen bonding's interaction is strong, selective and directed. It was really interesting to know about halogen bonding because I could see the similarities in hydrogen bonding when comparing it to what learned in General Chemistry and some in Organic Chemistry. Dr. Bill Pennington discussed 4 main topics during the seminar. The topics consisted of halogen boding, X-bonding periodic table, polyiodides and metapolyiodides. His focus was on crystal chemistry, materials which involve halogen bonding due to halogen bonding being strong and selective. The strong and selective bonding is perfect for crystal designing! To elaborate more on halogen bonding, the bonding occurs between halogen atoms (Lewis acid and a Lewis base). It is a non-covalent interaction. The halogen group is the 17th group on the periodic table. Halogen bonding is between a halogen (X Bonding) and between another lone pair found in an atom or molecule. The halogens are knows as acceptors of electron density. In general, the scheme for halogen bonding is D---X-Y. X is the halogen (Lewis Acid, XB donor), D is a Lewis base or the XB acceptor and the Y is a carbon, halogen, nitrogen, etc. The seminar was insightful and very informative especially when you had something else such as hydrogen bonding to compare it to.
Links:
http://www.clemson.edu/ces/departments/chemistry/people/faculty/pennington.html
http://www.halogenbonding.eu/halogenbonding.php

Hi Parnean! (:
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post about Dr. Pennington's seminar about halogen bonding. Although I did not attend this particular seminar, I feel like I have a understanding of what he discussed simply based on the information you have provided here. The part about halogen bonding being perfect for crystal designing is very interesting and intriguing. Although you were discussing the information presented during the seminar, I could tell you also did some research of your own to help elaborate on the topic. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Thank you!(: