On November 14th, I attended Dr.Kenneth Brown's seminar about Ion Trap Quantum Computers for Chemistry. He's a professor at Georgia Tech and researches quantum mechanics/computers, ion traps, and ion stability. Chemistry and chemical bonding wouldn't make sense without quantum information.
During his presentation he told us that quantum chemistry was hard because of the calculations. Quantum computers help to solve problems in computation and communication in quantum mechanical systems. They have three requirements which are quantum bits/qubits, one qubit gates, and two qubit gates. However, his students and himself continuously make improvements on the quantum computers because they have several errors present which make calculations incorrect.
Quantum computers, within the next few years, will become more popular according to Dr.Brown. It will be beneficial to society because it will save time when dealing with chemical properties and equations.
I agree with Dr. Brown, the quantum computers will become more popular. I was researching some of the calculations that were used in quantum mechanics, and they look nothing light of pages of math.
ReplyDelete