Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Aspartame






           Aspartame is a molecule with two chiral carbon centers, meaning it can exist as four different isomer forms. Aspartame is a methyl ester of the natural amino acids L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine. Aspartame is a low-calorie sweetener. It is used  to sweeten a variety of foods and beverages and as a tabletop sweetener. According to the American Cancer Society, Aspartame is used in many foods and beverages because it is about 200 times sweeter than sugar, so much less of it can be used to give the same level of sweetness. This, in result lowers the calories in the food or beverage.

          Most studies in people have not found that aspartame use is linked to an increased risk of cancer. One early study suggested that an increased rate of brain tumors in the US during the 1980s might have been related to aspartame use, but was later dismissed because it couldn't be proven.


Resources :

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/549receptor.html

2 comments:

  1. I learned a lot from your post! I didn't know it was 200 times sweeter than sugar... that's really sweet. I also didn't know aspartame might be linked to the increased rate brain tumors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that about aspartame. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete