Wednesday, October 29, 2014

MMMM.....HALLOWEEN CANDY turns into this!



GLUCOSE

MMMM... Who doesn't love to get their hands on some sugar? Glucose is a natural organic compound that is present in every living thing, even plants! Glucose is an important part of two, very dreaded, processes. Photosynthesis and the Kreb's cycle. Living things would not be able to produce energy if it was not for glucose. 

When looking at the molecule you will see that it has 5 chiral centers. A chiral center is any sp3 carbon connected to four different substituents. Below the stereochemistry is shown for this natural compound.


3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about everything you have presented. Glucose is very important and it is needed. And yes I would love to get my hands on some candy this Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely agree with you about how dreaded the Kreb's cycle is. It was the only thing I actually struggled with in Bio 112! Arent there other ways to obtain glucose other than plant synthesis?

    ReplyDelete