Friday, October 31, 2014

D-Galactose

D-Galactose 

What makes the Animal Kingdom so Sweet

D-Galactose is a sugar that is found in most animals. It is an important part of many structural compounds and proteins such as glycolipids and glycoproteins, making it an important part of cellular structure and functionality. D-Galactose is also found in Lactose, a glucose-galactose compound. Lactose is present in human and cow milk, as well as in some fruits.
Galactose is also important in research for a cure for Alzheimer's Disease. Studies have shown that a diet that is supplemented with galactose intake can slow the deterioration of some brain cells that is due to lack of glucose intake. The galactose can be synthesized into glucose.

D-Galactose has four chiral centers and four O-H groups. When numbering Carbon atoms from the left to the right, the stereochemistry is as follows: C2: R stereocenter, C3: S stereocenter, C4: S stereocenter, C5: R stereocenter.



Sources:

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_Chemistry/Organic_Chemistry_With_a_Biological_Emphasis/Chapter_03%3A_Conformations_and_Stereochemistry/Section_3.7%3A_Diastereomers

http://www.galactose.org/research.html

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sneha!
    I wrote about a compound used to treat Alzheimer's Disease too! I am curious as to how D-Galactose actually helps slow the deterioration of brain cells on a cellular level.
    I had no idea that lactose was found in fruit. That seems really strange to me because I have always associated lactose to dairy products. How exactly is D-Galactose synthesized into glucose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool to see that something so commonplace can be used to help treat Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is very interesting. I was surprised, too that lactose was found in some fruit products. I always thought lactose was found in dairy products, like milk and cheese. I am very curious after reading this blog post whether galactose found in most animals, would help cure Alzheimer's disease in the next 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is interesting especially when looking at the way research being done with alzheimers.

    ReplyDelete