I would like to introduce you guys to my best friend during finals week. He has got me through the longest of nights when I thought I couldn't make it! I am forever grateful to him. Caffeine is my favorite mostly because it tastes good in frappes. Coffee originally came from a native plant in Ethiopia and in the fourth century AD was later introduced to Arabia and others. Caffeine was first extracted in 1820 from cocoa beans into its original form, a white powder, by a German Scientist named Friedrich Ferdinand Runge. Today caffeine is easily extracted and used to make a variety of products in our everyday consumption. It is a central nervous system stimulant, it increases alertness and produces agitation.
http://drugaware.com.au/Drug-Information/Caffeine/Origin-And-How-It-Is-Used.aspx
http://caffeineandyou.wordpress.com/historyandbackground/
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/88304/caffeine
I too love a nice cold Frappe on a hot summer day!
ReplyDeleteI wonder what exactly it is about caffeine that gives us energy...maybe the way it bonds? Or the way it functions within a cell? Maybe we'll get to find out in class...or maybe if I drink more Starbucks it'll just come to me :)
I don't think that many of us can make it through any week without a dose of caffeine, much less final exam week. But just like it can help us stay awake to study and remain alert during the exam, caffeine has been shown to decrease fine motor coordination. It will do us no good to know the material if we cant write our answers down. So moderation, moderation! Easier said than done, right? Especially with those delicious Frappes!
ReplyDeleteAnytime of the year, this is definitely one of my go-to items! It keeps me alive during those late nights and early mornings throughout the school year! When all else fails, I can count on caffeine. Although this is one of my favorites, I must admit that it's one of those things I KNOW I shouldn't have as often as I do, but we all have our vices! This just happens to be one of mine! Caffeine, thank you!
ReplyDeleteThis made me want to go to starbucks haha. But I was entertained while reading your post and I am also a fan of caffeine during finals week.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. I want to go to Starbucks immediately. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThis was a very entertaining and informative post! I love, love, love caffeine. I have to have it every morning, or I'll be dead.
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate to this post!! I have to have two cups of coffee everyday during the semester or it will really be a bad day for me. I blame my mom for my love of coffee because she loved coffee just as much or if not more than I do. I have traveled to many different countries and one thing that I love to try is their coffee. I have found that I really love the coffee from columbia the best. It is very strong and thats how I like it!
ReplyDelete