Acetaminophen is my favorite organic molecule because it is my life saver in relieving my headaches, colds, and any other minor to moderate pain that I am feeling. I have been using this drug since I was a child, and it has never failed me once.
Origin: The
chemical formula of this molecule is C8H9NO2.
This molecule was used as a pain reliever starting in the early 1800s. In 1950,
it was approved to use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration after it was
found that the related drug paracetin was broken down inside the body into
acetaminophen after being consumed. The positive effects of paracetin were
actually the effects of acetaminophen.Use: Acetaminophen is sold over-the-counter mainly in Tylenol and in other brand-name combination products, like Dayquil and Nyquil cold and cough medicines. It comes as a tablet, chewable tablet, capsule, and a liquid solution. It is used to soothe mild to moderate pain from headaches, muscle aches, menstrual periods, colds and sore throats, and to reduce fever. It works by preventing the synthesis of chemical messengers called prostaglandins, which help to send pain signals and cause fever. Acetaminophen lessens the pain by helping to block this signaling.
Health Risks: Overdose of this drug can lead to liver damage. In some more serious cases, a person may need a liver transplant or can die from an overdose.

If acetaminophen did not exist, I would not know how I would function some days if I am constantly feeling pain, which would prevent me from focusing on important things, like my college education and enjoying time with my family and friends. I am glad that it exists and helps people like me alleviate their pain.
Resources:
Acetaminophen: MedlinePlus Drug
Information. (2014, August 15). Retrieved August 30, 2014, from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a681004.html#brand-name-1
Knight, K. (n.d.). Chemistry Explained.
Retrieved August 30, 2014, from
http://www.chemistryexplained.com/A-Ar/Acetaminophen.html
Pictures:


No comments:
Post a Comment