Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My Favorite Organic Molecule : Acetaminophen




     My favorite organic molecule is acetaminophen. It is used as a painkiller and is commonly known as Tylenol. ( It is also called Paracemtol as well as Panadol). I find this organic molecule particularly useful, especially when I have a headache!

     In 1886, a compound called acetanilide mistakenly used by two French doctors to cure a patient of internal parasites. They noticed that the drug helped reduce fever in the patient and that it had analgesic properties. It was later discovered that the body metabolizes this drug to form acetaminophen.  In 1909, acetaminophen was first synthesized by a German scientist named Joseph Freiher von Mering. The compound was then forgotten until 1949 when other similar compounds were being studied. It then began its popularization through the production of Tylenol by the McNeil company.

     Acetaminophen is a white crystalline powder with the formula of C8H9NO2 . It is most commonly found in tablet form, to be taken orally, but liquid treatments can also be found.

This drug is primarily used as a painkiller. It does not have any anti inflammatory properties like other commonly used painkillers do (NSAIDS), but it does have fever reducing properties. However, unlike many NSAIDS, acetaminophen is less likely to damage stomach linings and the gastrointestinal tract.

     Once taken, acetaminophen is absorbed mainly in the gastrointestinal tract, and then distributed through the bloodstream. Once it passes through to the bloodstream, it is filtered out by the liver, and passed through urine. This complete cycle usually occurs within 24 hours. 

     The dangers of acetaminophen are overdoses. An intake of this drug exceeding 4000 milligrams a day can lead to liver damage. In some cases, liver transplants and even death are results of regular overdose of acetaminophen.

Sources:

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It's good to know these things about Tylenol! I definitely use it often for varying pain related issues but I did not know some of this information. I wasn't aware of the way that the human body digests this molecule. I am happy that we have something that is an over-the-counter drug that reduces fever!

    ReplyDelete