Sunday, August 31, 2014

Don't talk to me until I've had my Caffeine! (Favorite Organic Molecule)

Caffeine 

Who:

Caffeine was originally created back in 1890s from the German chemist Emil Fischer (1852-1919). He first synthesized caffeine from basic raw material in 1895. 

What: 

Caffeine is a natural drug found in certain leaves, seeds and fruits. C8H10N4O2 is the chemical formula and 194.19 g/mol is the molar mass.  


Where:  

Caffeine comes from the German word Kaffe and the french word Cafe, both meaning coffee. Caffeine is an alkaloid. Alkaloids are naturally occurring compounds that contain properties of an organic amine base, Purine.   
 
When:

 He first synthesized caffeine from basic raw material in 1895. Two years later German chemist, Fischer was certain that he finally discovered the structural formula of caffeine. 

How:

Caffeine is quickly and completely removed from the brainCaffeine effects are short-lived and affects concentration and higher brain functions. However, still many of us consume considerable amounts of caffeine, through coffee, tea, energy drinks or over-the-counter drugs in order to stay alert on a day-to-day basis.  

Why: 

It is important to know that caffeine is an addictive drug. Caffeine is also a diuretic and may cause frequent urination and may cause dehydration if consumed in large amounts.  


RESOURCES:

www.myorganicchemistry.com

2 comments:

  1. Very nice post! I think a lot of people are not aware of how many day to day items contain caffeine. Even chocolate bars and some cereals used to!. It is interesting that consumption of massive quantities of caffeine during puberty and development can stunt growth and a recent study has linked caffeine intake to sleep disorders (even if the person is not drinking caffeine within a few hours of sleeping). Powerful stuff....and super tasty!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post, Keisha. I had no idea that the French word 'cafe' actually meant caffeine! I also think it is interesting how you mentioned the addictive nature of caffeine, and knowing its potential for addiction, it is still so highly consumed by the entire population. I found it interesting that adults can actually overdose on caffeine, consuming more than 10 grams per day can have severely toxic effects on the human body and actually overestimate the central nervous system and produce side effects similar to other stimulant overdoses. I'm sure our daily cup or two come no where close to this amount, so I think I'll continue to enjoy my daily pick me up!

    ReplyDelete