Monday, August 25, 2014

Vitexin: My Favorite Molecule


My favorite organic molecule is: 5,7-dihydroxy-2-(4-hydroxyphenyl)-8-[(2S,3R,4R,5S,6R)-3,4,5-trihydroxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxan-2-yl]chromen-4-one. What is commonly called Vitexin. Although the IUPAC naming is an exceedingly lengthy way to describe the molecule, it tells exactly what and where each atom bonds to another. In general, the structure is shown as having hydrogen atoms bonding to the oxygen atoms to form hydroxyls. However, when the molecule is used in bioassays, they are often stripped off. This causes Vitexin to have a high binding affinity. It has been used in various forms of research generally, it is used as an inhibitor against the formation of activated glycation end products (AGE). (Peng 2008) What this means is that Vitexin will bind to a key ‘ingredient’ of AGE and thus keep it from being formed. What makes this truly fascinating is the application of these properties. AGE is one of the compounds that is commonly implicated in pathological complications in reference to diabetes. Due to the natural origins of Vitexin, and it’s presence in legumes, this makes diet change a viable option in decreasing the complications due to diabetes. It’s inhibitory properties have been used in various studies, superseding diabetes. That is what makes Vitexin my favorite molecule. 





The images used in this post were all created by me using Chemdraw and Spartan.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you chose this molecule as your favorite because it consideres people with diabetes and gives them a way to deal with it such as a diet change! Good work and great description on vitexin and its chemical properties. This post was very informative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claretha,

      Awh, thanks! I thought this was an amazing product and was a little disappointed that it wasn't a widely publicized form of treatment for patients with diabetes! There are so many reports on Vitexin, and its amazing properties! Perhaps one day it will be part of a cure!

      Delete
  2. Tyra,

    I am thankful that you've chosen to post about this molecule. I honestly had never heard of it. Diabetes runs in both sides of my family and this is very valuable information. Your post has motivated me do further research on this molecule. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dailian,

      I am so glad that this post seems to have a good rapport among those affected by diabetes! I hope the information I provided is of some use! I wonder if more flavonoid compounds have similar properties. Two of the researchers I work with have diabetes and have also done further research on the molecule. Hopefully the future of treatment involves diet change and less intrusive measures.

      Delete
  3. Dear Tyra,

    I would like to thank you for deciding to write about this molecule. After reading your blog I became so interested that I decided to find out more about Vitexin. According to Sigma-Aldrich's Material Safety Data Sheet Vitexin is not considered a hazardous substance, and has the form of a yellow powder. Your information about this molecule and Diabetes was also really interesting.

    Keep up the good blogging,
    Eni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eni,

      It is so cool that you and the other commenters have been inspired to do more research on Vitexin. I love the real work applications of this compound. I didn't know about the toxicity or color of the compound before! Thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete