My favorite organic molecule is Acetone (C3H6O),
mostly because it is the main ingredient in nail polish remover. I use nail
polish remover frequently because I can never decide what color nail polish to
keep on my toes.
Acetone is a colorless and highly flammable liquid
that is naturally found in plants, trees, volcanic gases, and tobacco smoke. It
is also a by-product of the breakdown of body fats.
Acetone is found in superglue remover, household
cleaning agents, paint thinners, automotive cleaners, and pet tick/flea
products.
Though there are several uses to acetone, it can
also be very dangerous too. Prolonged exposure can lead to respiratory
irritation, abdominal pain, headaches, confusion, kidney damage,
unconsciousness, coma, and even death.
I love acetone too! I use it almost on a daily basis when I polish my nails, but now that I know that prolonged exposure is bad for you, I'll only polish my names twice a week instead of four times :)
ReplyDelete