Sunday, August 31, 2014

Glucose, Dextrose, Life saver

Dear Glucose,
Oh how you have made my life so much easier. Glucose, Dextrose, what ever anyone wishes to call it, is my MOST favorite organic molecule. When I'm feeling sluggish or down I can always count on Glucose to pick me back up.

Glucose's molecular formula is C6H12O6 and the molecular weight is 180.155 grams. Glucose is a very important carbohydrate, when it is eaten it is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream. Glucose is one of the primary energy sources. I would assume this is why when too much of it is consumed people get a "sugar rush" or a large burst of energy. There are two isomers of Glucose, but only one can be found naturally in nature. This picture is the molecular structure of the Glucose naturally found in nature:




If Glucose didn't exist I'm not sure what I would do, I know for sure I wouldn't have my middle of the day pick me up and that would just ruin everyday for me.


Information source: http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/rws00071358/glucose
Picture link: http://chemistry.about.com/od/molecularformulas/a/Glucose-Molecular-Formula.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment