Sunday, August 31, 2014
Glucose
Another name for glucose is dextrose which is derived from dextrorotatory. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/229319-interesting-glucose-facts/)
I had a hard time choosing exactly which organic molecule I really loved. Glucose however topped the list because it is associated with food and I love food. I mainly chose glucose though because it is sometimes referred to as blood sugar and this is where my major interest is. Glucose is a major source of energy and is easily soluble in blood thus blood sugar or blood glucose. Glucose is the simplest form of carbohydrate. The elements that make up glucose six carbon atoms, twelve hydrogen atoms and six oxygen atoms.
Why would I be interested in blood sugar? Coming from a family with a history of type 2 diabetes, I have always been interested in finding out about diabetes, the symptoms and how to deal with it. Blood sugar level is regulated mainly by insulin is a hormone which is secreted by the pancreas "Insulin takes sugar from the blood into the cells." (http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/facts-about-type-2.html). Blood sugar that is not being assimilated into the cells could starve the cells or damage other body organs such as eyes, kidney thus people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes have symptoms such as blurry eyes and kidney failure. (http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/facts-about-type-2.html)
References
1. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/facts-about-type-2.html
2. http://www.livestrong.com/article/229319-interesting-glucose-facts/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Glucose is great organic molecule, because it is used every where in the body and it is an important molecule bodily functions.
ReplyDelete