Around 1950, it was approved by The US Food and Drug Administration to be a safe an effective pain reliever. It is usually found in tablet form, but it is also available in liquid and injection form. The chemical formula is C8H9NO2. During my time in the pharmacy, I found out that medications with acetaminophen in it were very popular. Being used as a pain reliever and a fever reducer, those drugs were the most common purchased. A health fact that I had to remind patients of was that if taken at higher doses than prescribed, it can be toxic to parts of the body such as the liver. This molecule allowed me to know that my decision of pharmacy was the right choice for me. It's my favorite molecule because I worked with it closely and it allowed me the opportunity to work closely with patients.Sources:
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-362/acetaminophen-oral/details
http://www.chemistryexplained.com/A-Ar/Acetaminophen.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a681004.html


Very informative! I want to work as a pharmacy technician, so this post really gave me insight as to what you love about working in a pharmacy. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I think more people should become aware of the dangers of taking excessive amounts of Tylenol and other painkillers.
ReplyDelete