Sunday, August 31, 2014

Favorite organic molecule


          Ohh Theobromine how much I love you! You are there to comfort me when I am stressed and be my lunch buddy.  I look forward seeing you every single day. You might think that I am talking about a person but actually, theobromine is a methylxanthines that is found in cocoa products, tea plant, and in kola nut. It is a bitter alkaloid with a molecular formula of C7H8N4O2  it is caffeine's cousin but has a mild affect  to the human body. Theobromine in a way relaxes and calms the human body. Thus it can increase urine production slightly as well as it loosens up  the smooth muscles the bronchi in the lungs. It also excite the nervous and cardiac system by reducing blood pressure and the use vasodilatation in the body. 
 

            The first encounter of theobromine was in 1841 in cacao beans by Russian chemist Alexander Woskresensky. Soon a man by the name of Hermann Emil Fischer synthesized theobromine from xanthine.




            Additionally, chocolate can vary in different amounts of theobromine. For example, dark chocolate has a higher level of theobromine. Meanwhile, most milk chocolate has a low amount of theobromine. You can say that I do love theobromine because I am a dark chocolate fanatic.
            Although Theobromine in chocolate products hardly harm humans, it can greatly affect domestic animals. Domestic animals such as dogs can have serious affects to the heart, central nervous system, and kidneys. This is caused because animal metabolize theobromine more slower than humans. Therefore think twice when feeding your pets something that can be tasty and fulfilling to you, but can be harmful to your pet.




http://chemistry.about.com/od/factsstructures/a/theobromine-chemistry.htm
https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Theobromine.html
http://www.chocolate.org/articles/health-benefits-of-chocolate.html
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00734/dogs-poisoned-404_734397c.jpg
http://wholespice.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/cocoabean3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment