Have you ever thought about what happens in your brain whenever you feel happy, angry, scared, stressed or sleepy? Almost all emotions are connected with serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine), a hormone and neurotransmitter that regulates a large number of behavioral and neurological functions [1]. In humans serotonin is found in blood, the gastrointestinal track, and the central nervous system [2].
After it was brought to the field of neuroscience, serotonin was found to be responsible for mood, sleep, pain perception, reward, fear, anger, aggression, memory, appetite, sexuality, stress response, addiction, and attention [1]. However, in 2013 scientists realized that there are elevated levels of serotonin in the brains of people with eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia) [2]. This molecule is also thought to be responsible for depression, bipolar disorders, and anxiety [1].Some believe that learning how to control the levels of serotonin in our body is the key to fighting eating disorders or depression. However, there is an ongoing debate about the real causes of depression. What's more, without serotonin we wouldn't be able to express any of our emotions or feel happy about the wonderful things that happen in our lives. That is why I consider it as my favorite molecule; a hormone that makes us feel alive!
References:
1. Reevy, G.M (2010). Serotonin. In Encyclopedia of Emotion. Santa Barbara, CA: Greenwood. Retrieved from http://ebooks.abc-clio.com.libproxy.uncg.edu/reader.aspx?isbn=9780313345753&id=B3194C-7159&q=serotonin
2. American Chemical Society: http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/molecule-of-the-week/archive/serotonin.html
Images in this post were created using ChemDraw.
This is one of my fav's too!
ReplyDeleteDear Sara,
DeleteThank you very much for your comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and I am happy that we have the same interests.
Sincerely,
Eni
I also agree that Serotonin is a very interesting organic molecule and was shocked to learn during my Human Anatomy and Physiology coursework this past year that there is still a debate in both the scientific/medical communities over the link between Serotonin and depression.
ReplyDeleteHere are a few links that speak to this debate:
1) "When it Comes to Depression, Serotonin Isn't the Whole Story"
National Public Radio
URL: www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01/23/145525853/when-it-comes-to-depression-serotonin-isnt-the-whole-story
2) "New Study Throws into Question Long-Held Belief about Depression"
American Chemical Society- Neuroscience
URL: http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/presspacs/2014/acs-presspac-august-27-2014/new-study-throws-into-question-long-held-belief-about-depression.html
Hi Hart,
DeleteThank you very much for your comment! It actually helped me revise my post and change the way I approached the subject. The links that you sent me were really helpful!
Thank you,
Eni
One more link that I thought I would share on the topic of Serotonin:
ReplyDelete"Serotonin"
PubChem
National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine
URL: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=5202
Hi Hart,
DeleteI really appreciate you taking the time to comment and read my blog. The information was really helpful.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Eni
This was a really informative post! We learned about Serotonin in my Biopsychology class and it was fascinating to me. I'm very glad you approached this from both how it is important in emotional regulation, as well as how it affects appetite and ties this to eating disorders. This is an immensely interesting molecule and one of my favorites too!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for your comment! I am happy to learn that there are a lot of students interested in this molecule. Please feel free to share any extra information with me!
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Eni