Acetone
My
favorite organic molecule is acetone. It is one of my favorite molecules
because it is used to get paint and fingernail polish off of the nails. It
helps with the removal of old and unwanted things on older pieces of furniture,
which refurnishing older things is something I like to do. Acetone is a volatile liquid because it is
flammable. It has one keytone in the middle of the lines of hydrocarbons. It
has several uses for it. Some of those are paint remover along with nail polish
remover. Other uses for this molecule include varnishes, coatings and inks.
Some of the history behind this molecule is it was produced in 1942 by what is
known as the cumene process (www.wisegeek.com).
Rudolf Yur’evich Uldris performed this process and came up with the molecule. Now
a day, the process to create acetone is the “Hock process” (www.chemical.net).
References:
Chemical.net.nu. Chemical.net, 2006.Web. August 31,
2014.
Conjecture Corporations. Wisegeek. Conjecture
Corporations, 2003. Web. August 30,2014.
Image:
Wow I didn't even think about acetone until I saw this post. My friend and I do a lot of nail art so we always wind up buying the pure acetone from Sally's. It's an incredibly powerful solvent.
ReplyDelete