Sucrose is my favorite molecule because it is sugar. I love sugar on fruit, in my drinks, and in other foods I eat. Sucrose is composed of both fructose and glucose. Before, people would chew on sugar can for its sweetness. It was first crystallized in 350 AD which made into what we refer to as table sugar.
Sucrose is most used for cooking especially in desserts. However, ancient Greeks and Romans used sugar to cure illnesses of the stomach and intestines and also to reduce pain in the bladder and kidneys. Also, sugar is used in the making of ink, transparent soaps, glycerol, and citric acid.
Although sugar taste great, too much of a good thing can be bad to the body. Over consumption of sugar has been linked causing cavities, diabetes, obesity, and coronary heart disease.
Go eat some sugar! But not too much!
Below is the molecular structure of sucrose:
C12H22O11
Resources:
http://www.naturalwellbeing.com/learning-center/Sucrose
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=5988
.jpeg)
I almost wrote about Sucrose, but picked Glucose instead. I think you summed up what i would have said and made in funny. Sucrose is a very interesting molecule and I think that it is many peoples favorite. I didn't know that it was used to reduce pain in the bladder, that is a very helpful fact.
ReplyDelete