Seeing as that I want to become a Dentist one day, I figured I'd feature a organic molecule near and dear to my heart from experience. I had wisdom teeth surgery a few years ago and many can relate when I say the pain during recovery was excruciating. My favorite organic molecule is OXYCODONE! It became my best friend after having all 4 of my teeth extracted and never let me down or allowed me to be in pain :) I have a very high tolerance for pain but it afforded me a smooth recovery after the Hydrocodone I was originally prescribed failed me miserably.
What is it?
Oxycodone is a synthetic derivative of Codeine. It is also known as Dihydroxycodeinone, Dihydrohydroxycodeinone, Dihydrone, Diphydrone, Oxycodeinone, Oxanest, Roxicodone, and Eucodalum. It is intended to provide extended relief for people who are in immense pain.
Who Made It?
Oxycodone was developed in 1916 and was at first made to be a better medication that other oploids like heroin, morphine, and codeine. It first appeared in the United States in 1939 and was widely used for over 50 years, but it wasn't until 2001 that it became the best selling narcotic pain reliever in the country. Who knew it would become one of the most widely "used and abused" prescription drugs of all time??!
Abuse
Because the drug was widely available, hence why a high abuse risk exist. Many who are addicted experience withdrawal symptoms and Oxycodone is a serious drug to play abuse. If not monitored correctly by a health care professional, it can cause many complications including death.
Oxycodone
Molecular Formula: C18H21NO4
Molecular Weight: 315.36364
Sources:


No comments:
Post a Comment