My favorite organic molecule is Acetaminophen, C8H9NO2. Many of you guys may be wondering what exactly is Acetaminophen, since it isn't widely talked about like the other organic molecules. It is used to relieve pain and to reduce fever. This organic molecule really comes into handy around the winter and fall when flu season starts. So it is an important pain and fever reliever it changes the body pain senses and by cooling the body down when it has a fever. This molecule is found in many prescriptions and billions and billions of dosages have been sold because it is safe and effective. There are many drug brands of this molecules, many of you may have heard of Tylenol.
The origin of acetaminophen's discovery was by accident. In the late 19th century, a pharmacist gave the wrong chemical for treating intestinal parasites in a patient and instead of getting rid of the parasites, this chemical reduced the patient’s fever. This began to interest the doctors. Soon many years late, acetaminophen became used as effective and non-toxic painkiller. And in 1955 the US began to sell it and has been used now for over 50 years. Above is what the molecule looks like. When ever I take this drug it relieves me of the fever which I get often around the winter time. I do not think I will be able to get through the fall/winter season without it. I love it and can't live without it.
Sources:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a681004.html
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/advisorycommittees/committeesmeetingmaterials/drugs/drugsafetyandriskmanagementadvisorycommittee/ucm175767.pdf
http://somethingaboutscience.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/painkiller-tylenol-paracetamol-what-is-it-really/
http://www.rxresource.org/prescription-information/Butalbital-Acetaminophen-and-Caffeine-Nexgen-Pharma-Inc.html


No comments:
Post a Comment