Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Girl's Best Friend (My Favorite Molecule)

   

Acetone (CH3COCH3)
Acetone. What can I say about Acetone. It is a girl's best friend. Whenever I need a new look or a fresh start I turn to this handy molecule under my bathroom sink. Otherwise known as Nail Polish Remover! This molecule has a number of names such as dimethyl ketone, 2-propanone, and beta-ketopropane, to name a few.

  Origin

It was produced for the first time in the Middle Ages. It was well-known for various medical purposes by the 17th century. It can be produced in many ways, the most common source was lead acetate. Acetone was known as the Spirit of Saturn.

Cutex Nail Polish Remover - Strenthening 50% Bonus Click to enlarge

Uses

This molecule also has many uses as a solvent. It dissolves substances such as paints, fats, oils, waxes, plastics, and glues. One of its laboratory related uses are to rinse glassware in labs because of the low price and volatility (the speed of which a substance changes from one state matter to another). It is also used in creating fibers, drugs, photographic film, and smokeless powder.

Health Affects

My Dad has always warned me to stay away from this molecule but I'm so attached. People tell me I should do nails as a side job because of my ability to construct intricate designs. However, my talent and slight obsession with painting nails can't possibly be worth the risks.
  • Exposure to high levels can cause death, coma, seizures, and respiratory distress.
  • Exposure can cause low blood pressure, bronchial irritation, abdominal pain, and an increase in urination.
  • Burning eyes, contact with skin can damage or irritate the epidermis

In conclusion:

Be cautious if you are going to use my favorite molecule! It does an abundance of good things in our world but in moderation!

Resources

Gorman, M. (1962). The History of Acetone, 1600-1850. JStor, 97-104. Retrieved from The History of Acetone, 1600-1850: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/27757220?uid=3739776&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21104561966117
Medicine, U. N. (2014, July 9). Acetone. Retrieved from Tox Town: http://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=1

3 comments:

  1. I like this molecule as well! The extreme cautions got my attention! It would be cool if you told readers some of the medical purposes of acetone in the 17th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I clicked on this link I thought I was going to see a diamond lol, but this is even better. Nail polish remover is really clutch and not most people know this but you even use it to remove stains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like this molecule. I thought the health effects were interesting. I never knew the effects could be potentially serious.

    ReplyDelete