Sunday, August 24, 2014

Chocolate Is Life


This is the molecular structure of chocolate and its official nerdy name is theobromine. It looks good enough to eat, right! I like to imagine a world where chocolate has always existed, but science likes to put the origin of chocolate to around 1500 B.C.-300 B.C. Chocolate serves many uses since we've discovered how to make it not taste like dirt. Besides devouring it you can use chocolate as currency, postage, toothpaste, fake blood, slips and slides, and outfits. Last but not least, chocolate can be the best comfort food you've ever had. So by all means, if you're feeling blue and need to binge on a little bit of organic chemistry, then go ahead and get you some theobromine. 



http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/chocolate/the-history-of-chocolate.asp
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/09/13/9-weirdest-uses-for-chocolate/

9 comments:

  1. Great post! For some reason, I never imagined chocolate to be one particular compound. It is notable that theobromine is strikingly similar in structure to caffeine. Maybe there is something inherent in the shape that makes people love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this article that expands on the subtle structural differences between theobromine and caffeine. The author goes on to postulate as to why chocolate is so enticing.

      http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/podcast/CIIEcompounds/transcripts/theobromine.asp

      Delete
    2. Wow, that was actually really interesting. It makes sense that they are one family of compounds!

      Delete
  2. Love it! Its very interesting that chocolate has a certain date of origin and that it has other purposes. I think it would improve the quality of your post even more if you expanded on one of the other uses. For example, telling where people use the candy for currency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this organic molecule, mainly because I'm a chocolate freak like you. I had never thought to think of Chocolate with Chemistry, and it was interesting to know that chocolate originated in those time ranges, I've never known chocolate to be talked of in the earlier times, just coco beans. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD. Who doesn't love chocolate? It's a girl's best friend! All of your other uses for chocolate were surprising and seemed pretty cool! I've got to try using chocolate as a toothpaste! Cool article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post! I also didn't know that chocolate originated during those time ranges. And I never associated chocolate with chemistry but it's a really interesting concept to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually hate chocolate, I know I know, It's strange. However, I did enjoy the facts from your post about chocolate. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your post and it is very interesting facts about Chocolate.

    ReplyDelete