Sunday, August 31, 2014

Ginger

Ginger





            Even though ginger is technically considered a root, its chemical composition makes ginger my favorite. Ginger, also known as Zingiber officinale, is an aromatic, pungent and hot rhizome (root plant) that has been used as a flavorful cooking additive and is a staple in Ayruvedic as well as Chinese medicine.The three main components of ginger are:
           


6-Gingerol (C17H26O4)
     
Shagaol (C17H24O4)
 
Zingiberene (C15H24)                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  








Ginger was originally cultivated in Asia over thousands of years ago and is still used today for its medicinal properties. Besides the distinctive taste, which is due to the zingiberene, it also helps with ease several ailments. If you're ever feeling nauseous, whether it be due to chemotherapy, pregnancy, diarrhea, or motion sickness, ginger will help ease your symptoms. Also, ginger will provide major relief for menstrual pain. Ginger is also shown to provide joint pain relief and reduces your cholesterol. There has been a lot of extensive research into the healing properties of ginger and the relief it provides. Ginger is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and also an immune booster. Ginger can be enjoyed in several forms, you can either make ginger tea, or drink ginger ale or ginger beer or have a ginger candy or eat any Asian cuisine. I usually enjoy it in the form of a tea and I like the spicy aftertaste you get after the first sip. It's also has a warming effect which increases blood circulation and keeps you warm on those cold winter nights.


Sources:

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/ginger
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/961.html
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/ginger
http://mason.gmu.edu/~ekendric/projects/plant/plant.htm
http://www.elrophegarden.com/ginger.htm
http://www.chemnet.com/cas/en/495-60-3/zingiberene.html
http://www.extrasynthese.com/products-catalog/phenolic-acids--derivatives/6-gingerol-p4085981-c4982.html
http://www.chemnet.com/cas/en/495-60-3/zingiberene.html

1 comment:

  1. I liked this post and it makes me really happy that I actually learned and got something out of it from reading this. I already knew about it being in foods and people drink it as a tea, but I didn't realize Ginger had so many health benefits for pains and aches.

    ReplyDelete