Melatonin is a chemical hormone that is found in all sorts of living creatures, but is most commonly referred to when talking about sleep in humans. The pineal gland manufactures it when the body is in darkness, or near darkness. Optimally, there should be no light, but as humanity has moved into a modern era our bodies production of Melatonin has become skewed because of the artificial light given off by our current technologies. While things like light bulbs and other various types of light sources like candles, or a simple fire have been around for a lot longer than computer screens and LEDs, the type of light they give off is different, especially where Melatonin is concerned. Things like fluorescent light bulbs and cell phone screens tend to give off blue light, while incandescent light bulbs and regular fire give of a warmer yellow light, and blue light is the primary suppressor of Melatonin. The implication of this is that people are staying up later and later using their phones or their laptops and in doing so are inhibiting the hormone that would actually have them sleep well.
Nowadays many people take Melatonin supplements because they aren't getting enough, or their sleep schedule is off. That's why I choose it as my favorite. I used it a lot when I was younger, I always had a terrible time falling asleep, it would take me hours, and now that I'm in college it really can help put you back on track if your schedule gets wonky.
Sources:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2012/May/blue-light-has-a-dark-side/
http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/melatonin-and-sleep
Image Source:
http://health.learninginfo.org/melatonin2.htm


I've recently become quite fascinated with the chemistry of these molecules and how different arrangements of C,H,N,O which are atoms that are in a plethora of things, could possibly conduct this job simply because of the atoms arrangement. I also find this interesting as a college student who understands the struggle for sleep in a world full of test, projects, and cellular devices. It makes me feel better to know it's not a prescription drug, and if I do a bit more research hopefully not anything that I could possibly become addicted to.
ReplyDelete