Thursday, August 28, 2014

Menthol-My Favorite Organic Molecule

                        Menthol is a organic compound that officially goes by the name 5-Methyl-2-(1-methylethyl) cyclohexanol. It can be found in many common products such as breath fresheners, candy, cigarettes, cold medications, cough drops, creams, lotions, gum, inhalants, and mouth washes. Menthol is commonly in used to treat nasal congestion. It is derived from peppermint oil and emits a minty fresh scent which is why it is used for breath fresheners and mouth wash. This compound was no known in ancient times but what is was derived from (peppermint) was used in ancient times to treat cuts and boils, freshen breath, and heal sore throats. It is my favorite organic compound because I have gotten sick one too many times when cough drops have been my best friend and if they didn't have that minty taste I would not not use them as much, also my husband uses mouth wash and breath fresheners religiously and I think he would go crazy without those menthol products. I like things that have varying purposes that help many different individuals and menthol helps with that. 

    Text Resources                                              http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002673.htm  http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Common-Names-of-Organic-Molecules-II-112833.html http://www.naturalwellbeing.com/learning-center/Menthol                                                                  Pictures from                                                                                         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol                                  http://newfreedomvapor.com/product/menthol

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Claretha! Like your husband, I think I too would go crazy without menthol products. Menthol is the right combination of soothing and refreshing, as you alluded to in your blog. I actually owned a peppermint plant last summer and added the leaves to some of my drinks to make then extra refreshing. Have you ever done that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to have my menthol products as well. Not only do I use menthol in the forms of breath mints and mouthwash, I put a little bit of IcyHot gel (containing menthol, of course) on the tip of my nose at work to help counteract unpleasant biological smells (I'm a CNA). Definitely does the trick!

    ReplyDelete